Pinched Nerve Treatment in Goose Creek SC
You’re reaching for a cup on a high shelf and feel a sudden sharp and stabbing pain in your shoulder. As you recoil, the pain expands into a burning sensation or even a sense of numbness. Pinched nerves can strike at any time, including as you sleep. Waking up with the feeling of pain or tightness at a nerve point indicates that some kind of compression is at work. Don’t let a pinched nerve keep you from getting restful sleep or working without pain when we can help solve the problem with non-invasive treatments.
What is a Pinched Nerve?
The term of pinched nerve is used to describe any peripheral nerve that is being compressed. The peripheral nerves are located in the limbs, joints, and in the hips. Any number of issues can lead to pressure on an important nerve. This manifests as irritating and painful symptoms that usual extend down the arm or into the feet. If a major nerve comes under pressure from a serious issues, it can interfere with the use of the affected area, especially when complete numbness is involved.
Pinched Nerve Symptoms
A host of confusing symptoms can pop up when you have a pinched never. These issues may include:
- Shooting pain that radiates down a limb
- Numbness & tingling in the hands, feet, or other body parts
- Loss of reflex or reaction
- Atrophy in the muscles if the condition continues for years
- Loss of coordination and fine movement control in hands and feet
- Pain in the area of the nerve or in a completely different area
A nerve in the shoulder could make the chest or fingertips hurt. It can be tricky to find the exact nerve leading to the pain, but our diagnostic tools can help.
Cause of Pinched Nerves
Some pinched nerves occur as a complete accident when you’re trying to stretch for something, but others are the body’s reaction to repetitive movement. You may have a common cause like:
- Ligament and tendon misalignment, which brings pressure down on the nerve
- Fractures, sprains and other injuries that cause inflammation around nerves
- Tennis elbow or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Scarring of the nerve tissue due to illness or injury
- Bulging or herniated disk
- Dysfunction of the cervical spine
Pinched Nerve Risks
This kind of compression can interfere with the function of a major nerve root. A badly pinched nerve may require treatment within a few days or you could develop complications like:
- Swelling of the nerve and surrounding tissue due to fluid build up
- Worsening pain and other symptoms
- Permanent pain due to scarring and damage
- Numbness that can’t be completely eliminated
Pinched Nerves Treatment Options
If treated properly and at an early stage, most pinched nerves are relatively easy to resolve if they are caused by a simple misalignment or sprain. Our team in the Goose Creek area will provide treatments that include:
- Chiropractic alignment if your issues are related to a spinal curve or spinal dysfunction
- Massage therapy to relieve swelling and release the pressure irritating the nerve
- Changes to your routine to eliminate repetitive movements and strain
- Stress reduction techniques
- Pain control through massage and stretching to help you avoid medications or surgery
Take Care Of Your Pinched Nerve With One Or Two Visits
In severe injuries that cause a pinched nerve, surgery may be required to reset a fracture or remove scar tissue and bone. However, most cases do not require this kind of invasive and risky treatment. Explore all of your options and get the facts with full diagnostics to determine the best course of action for your nerve pain, numbness & tingling. Contact us today to find relief from the pain associated with pinched nerves.
Free Pinched Nerve Consultation
If you are suffering from pinched nerve, the team at Back 2 Health Physical Medicine is ready to help. Back 2 Health Physical Medicine provides specialized treatment plans for pinched nerve in Goose Creek, Charleston, North Charleston, Summerville, Hanahan and Ladson and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.
Call (843) 405-0025 today to schedule your free consultation!