“A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away” (May 25, 1977 to be exact), a brilliant man, named George Lucas, introduced the first of many Star Wars movies to the world. The series would follow Luke Skywalker’s intergalactic adventures to save Princess Leia and the galaxy from the evil Darth Vader. The original trilogy would prove to be a cinematic phenomena as Luke rescues Leia and they take on the ‘dark side’. The first film was followed up by two sequels: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return on the Jedi (1983), as well as 3 other movies. Box office history is about to be made this weekend with the anticipation of the newest addition to the Star Wars family: The Force Awakens. That’s right folks, Star Wars, this time with J.J. Abrams at the helm, will (hopefully) amaze us with cinematic greatness, yet again. So, we all know the plot with the twists and turns, but here are some fun facts about the original saga you may not have known..
- Yoda was almost played by a monkey
- N’sync made a cameo in Attack of the Clones, supposedly as a favor for George Lucas’s daughters. The cameo went bye, bye, bye in the final cuts, however. I know, it’s tearin’ up my heart, too.
- The actor that played the original Darth Vader is not allowed at any official Star Wars events. Mr. Lucas is not a big fan of the actor..
- Chewbacca’s voice is comprised of different animal sounds: bears, walruses, lions, badgers, and other animals.
- Burt Reynolds, Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, and Christopher Walken were top contenders for the role of Han Solo.
Okay, flash forward 30 years we must, to a time after Luke saved Leia, saved the galaxy, and met his father (only the biggest cinematic reveal in history). The story continues with some new and familiar faces (Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker). In the newest plot we meet Finn (a new character). Finn and the other stormtroopers have grown up brainwashed to believe that Luke and the rebels are actually the villains in the original trilogy. After defecting, Finn meets Rey (a new character) and their adventure ensues. We don’t know much else about the plot but here are some facts we do know about the new movie:
- The Stormtroopers in the new movie are no longer made up of clones,
- The beloved Millennium Falcon makes its return to the big screen,
- Sorry folks, Jar-Jar Binks and the Ewoks will not be making any appearances,
- And unfortunately, it’s been reported there will be no post credit teaser..maybe this will truly be the end of Star Wars??
The new Star Wars movie has been kept under wraps very well since the confirmation of its existence. Heck, we haven’t even seen Luke Skywalker in anything but the movie poster. Nobody knows what to expect with this new movie, but what we do know is J.J. Abrams has a great reputation, and with today’s technology, at least we know the special effects will blow our minds! I am a huge fan of the original Star Wars movies, so I have high hopes for this one!
This has been BonBon reporting for Back2Health, May the Force Be With You.