What are Headaches?
Headaches simply involve pain in the head. However, this pain goes on for hours and hours at a time rather than just a few seconds. Sharp and fleeting pains come with different causes and treatments than an ache that lingers. While the pain may seem like it is in your brain, this isn’t true. The nerves triggering the reactions are located on the surface instead, but the cause could be hidden deep inside or come from another part of the body entirely.
An aching head isn’t a very clear indicator of any one problem. In depth descriptions of the symptoms are required to provide a differential diagnosis if testing doesn’t provide anything. The doctor may want to know about:
- Pain localized to one part of the head or the scalp itself
- Repetition of the headaches, especially over long periods of time
- Burning or tingling sensations that accompany head pain
- Sensitivity to light, sound, or smells
- Length of each headache
Cause of Headaches
Many headaches set in unexpectedly, like a cloud that ruins a bright and sunny day. Others hang around for weeks, peaking during certain activities. The myriad headache cause includes:
- Chronic coughing that stresses the nerves of the neck
- Slumping or slouching
- Consumption of alcohol
- Lack of sleep and stress
- Ear infections
- Misalignment of the spine or neck vertebrae
- Common illnesses like the flu
- Ruptured blood vessels in the brain
A headache that is unusually severe or reoccurring should be taken seriously. Call us to schedule an appointment for testing like MRIs or x-rays to ensure your pain isn’t linked to serious health risks like:
- Blood clots within the brain
- A concussion due to a fall
- Viral meningitis
- Carbon monoxide poisoning at home or at work
- Aneurysms in the brain
- Brain or spinal tumors
Headache Treatment Options
Popping an over the counter painkiller may make the pain fade, but this could damage your liver or kidneys over time. Migraines and headaches that return as the medications fade deserve more comprehensive treatments. Try a combination of:
- Stress reduction techniques to stop headaches from developing
- Adjustment and manipulation of the spine to release pressure on crucial nerves
- Traction or computer assisted stretching to stop tension in the neck from irritating the head
- Cervical corrective care to restore the cervical lordosis
- Referrals for further treatment if you are facing a life threatening condition
Banish Headaches From Your Routine
Staring at a computer screen all day or battling with your boss can leave you in major pain when you get home from work. If you have already tried adjusting your lifestyle and avoiding triggers, you may need our help. We can offer options that complement what you may already use to control or prevent unwanted head pain. We may have a better solution for patients in Goose Creek who are tired of aching heads interrupting their day.
The Initial Visit
When you arrive for your first visit, our doctors or a member of Back 2 Health Physical Medicine team will spend time with you collecting your patient history. This information will help your Back 2 Health Physical Medicine Team know how significant your headaches problem is and how best to help you. As you get started with a treatment plan for your headaches, we will most likely give you some at home tips to be aware of. The Team at Back 2 Health Physical Medicine has a lot of experience with headaches, but we will also need your participation in your care for the best results.
Feel free to look at our testimonials page to see what others have said about our Back 2 Health Physical Medicine. We’re proud to be part of their health care team. We want to thank you for considering us to help with your headaches. It does not have to be a life sentence. You don’t have to become another statistic, headaches is a fixable problem.
Free Headache Consultation
If you are suffering from headaches, the team at Back 2 Health Physical Medicine is ready to help. Back 2 Health Physical Medicine provides specialized treatment plans for headaches in Goose Creek, Charleston, North Charleston, Summerville, Hanahan and Ladson and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.
Call (843) 405-0025 today to schedule your free consultation!