Nothing moves you to the sidelines as quickly as foot pain. When sharp and severe irritation sets in, it can be a major chore just to get out of bed in the morning and get dressed. However, even mild pain is disruptive if it simply won’t go away with rest and home care. Don’t let concerns about surgery keep you from seeking a diagnosis and treatment. The team at Back 2 Health Physical Medicine specializes in non-invasive treatments for conditions that usually respond poorly to surgical intervention or require a lifetime of pain medications.
What is Foot Pain?
Foot pain encompasses numerous conditions and symptoms and is a very vague term. However, you don’t need to pinpoint your exact sensations or challenges until you start speaking with one of our professionals. We can help you rule out common causes and find the exact issue with just a little testing and questioning.
Common Foot Pain Symptoms
- Acute or chronic pain
- Irritation that appears in the ankles, any part of the foot, or toes
- Redness and inflammation that is visible to the eye
- Swelling of the ankle, foot, or toes
- Burning sensations
- Prickling or pins and needles
- Problems with pressure from shoes or standing
- Flattened or aching arches
- Thickened pads of skin on the bottom of the foot
- Deformations or bumps along the bones
- Pain that is triggered by activity or rest
Cause of Foot Pain
The potential causes of pain in the foot are nearly endless, but we can narrow down the possibilities based on your symptoms and testing. Your irritation could be linked to:
- Diseases of the bones like Paget’s syndrome
- Fallen arches and flat feet
- Injury to the tendons, ligaments, and muscles
- Ingrown toenails
- Corns, calluses, and bunions
- Toe growth disorders like claw foot or hammer toe
- Plantar warts
- Rheumatoid arthritis or simple and wear and tear on the joints
- Achilles tendinitis
- Diabetes neuropathy
Foot Pain Risks
A lot of this pain is linked to sheer mistreatment of the humble foot. Taking care of the feet that support you each day will go a long way to prevent pain from developing. Patients need to be aware of risks like:
- Running or jogging habits, especially if you run on hard surfaces or with improper footwear
- Insufficient rest time between strenuous activities
- Shoes with poor support or that constrict the feet
- Thin socks that allow rubbing of the skin
- Medications that trigger foot pain as a side effect
Foot Pain Treatment Options
There is a lot of basic home care you can use when a minor foot injury puts you out of the race. Applications of ice will reduce swelling, while rest should resolve the pain with time. If your foot pain is chronic or won’t fade away on its own after an injury, come in for treatments such as:
- Sports injury assessment to help you get back to training as quickly as possible
- Advice on ways to protect your feet with orthopedic inserts and better exercise habits
- Deep tissue massage that can relieve stress while reducing pain in the feet
- Vibration therapy to encourage fractures deep in the foot or ankle to heal
Even Minor Pain Deserves Treatment
You don’t have to choose drastic surgical options to treat your foot pain before trying alternative treatments. Back 2 Health Physical Medicine has helped many patients relieve chronic pain from arthritis or plantar faciisitis without the long recovery period required by an invasive procedure. You could also get rid of a dependency on pain medications by seeking other treatments to resolve the numbness and tingling.
The Initial Visit
When you arrive for your first visit, our doctors or a member of Back 2 Health Physical Medicine team will spend time with you collecting your patient history. This information will help your Back 2 Health Physical Medicine team know how significant your ankle and or foot pain is and how best to help you. As you get started with a treatment plan for your Ankle & Foot Pain, we will most likely give you some at home tips to be aware of. The team at Back 2 Health Physical Medicine has a great deal of experience with ankle and foot pain, but we will also need your participation in your care for the best results.
Feel free to look at our testimonials page to see what others have said about our Back 2 Health Physical Medicine. We’re proud to be part of their health care team. We want to thank you for considering us to help with your ankle and foot pain. It does not have to be a life sentence. You don’t have to become another statistic, Ankle & Foot Pain is a fixable problem.