Pregnancy can be a wonderful time for a woman, but there are a number of side effects that can disrupt your daily routine. You should set aside plenty of time to rest during the second half of your pregnancy to avoid common issues like back pain that pregnancy can cause. Asking family and friends for help with daily chores can help you stay off your feet. However, if you experience issues with your back aching, come in to our Goose Creek clinic for safe and conservative treatments to relieve the strain.
What is Back Pain During Pregnancy?
Many women already have some form of mild or generalized back pain before they become pregnant. Even if your back is free of pain, the extra weight of the baby can put a lot of wear and tear on the spine. Hormonal changes also contribute to the likeliness of back pain. There is no need to live with chronic irritation after your baby has been born if you seek treatment when the pain first appears.
Back Pain During Pregnancy Symptoms
If the pregnancy itself is causing the pain, it is likely to be moderate to mild and localized in one region or another. Most of our patients report:
- Lumbar pain and inflammation in the lower back
- Irritation deep in the pelvis or through the groin and rear
- Aching along the spine or in the legs and shoulders
- Loss of flexibility and stiffness that makes it hard to bend or twist
Cause of Back Pain During Pregnancy
There are numerous bodily changes that evolve as your pregnancy progresses. The enlargement of the uterus can lead to muscle pain or pressure on key nerves. The most common causes of back pain during pregnancy include:
- The 30 pounds or more that most women gain
- Stooping and other poor posture changes due to the extra weight
- Loosening of spinal ligaments due to hormonal changes
- Separation of muscles in the pelvis and abdominal to accommodate the growing fetus
- Excessive exercise or time spent on the feet due to work
Back Pain During Pregnancy Risks
Some women experience back during during pregnancy no matter what they do, which is also the case for morning sickness and general fatigue. There are ways to avoid unnecessary damage to your back by taking care of yourself during the second and third trimester. Stick with good practices like:
- Wearing low heeled shoes that offer plenty of arch support
- Don’t stand for more than an hour at a time if possible
- Avoid lifting heavy objects, especially when your center of gravity shifts
- Sleep on your side to support the weight
- Try sleeping on a firmer mattress or with a board below you to support the spine
Back Pain During Pregnancy Treatment Options
It can be risky to take painkillers when you are pregnant because most drugs can affect the fetus. Look for alternatives at our Goose Creek office that include:
- Exercise plans that help you properly alternative rest and activity for a stronger spine
- Chiropractic manipulation to restore the proper alignment of your back
- Recommendations for application of heat or cold to ease the pain
- Massage that helps you relax and release the stress of managing your pregnancy
Make Pregnancy A Comfortable Experience
Visiting Back 2 Health Physical Medicine could help you finish up the rest of your pregnancy with less pain and more energy. If you seek back support before symptoms even set in, you may get all the way through the nine months without irritation or inflammation. Seek immediate treatment if you suddenly experience sharp pains in the spine or cramping that won’t stop. This could indicate a more serious condition like osteoporosis or even premature labor.
The Initial Visit
When you arrive for your first visit, our doctors or a member of Back 2 Health Physical Medicine team will spend time with you collecting your patient history. This information will help your Back 2 Health Physical Medicine Team know how significant your back pain during pregnancy problem is and how best to help you. As you get started with a treatment plan for your back pain during pregnancy, we will most likely give you some at home tips to be aware of. The Team at Back 2 Health Physical Medicine has a lot of experience with back pain during pregnancy, but we will also need your participation in your care for the best results.
Feel free to look at our testimonials page to see what others have said about Back 2 Health Physical Medicine. We’re proud to be part of their health care team. We want to thank you for considering us to help with your back pain during pregnancy. It does not have to be a life sentence. You don’t have to become another statistic, back pain during pregnancy is a fixable problem.
If you are suffering from back pain during pregnancy, the team at Back 2 Health Physical Medicine is ready to help. Back 2 Health Physical Medicine provides specialized treatment plans for back pain during pregnancy in Goose Creek, Charleston, North Charleston, Summerville, Hanahan and Ladson and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.
Call (843) 258-5401 today to schedule your free consultation!